The research is in on last-mile delivery…and the payoff is huge. A recent survey of 2,800 consumers revealed four key benefits to companies offering exceptional last-mile delivery services to their customers.
- Increased loyalty when faster delivery options are made available
- Greater willingness to pay for faster speed of delivery
- More frequent purchases
- Higher monthly spend
In fact, 74% of the shoppers surveyed typically spent up to 12% more at retailers with superior last-mile service.
The Experience is Everything
It’s important to note that, throughout the study, shoppers consistently referred to “a positive experience,” “fast delivery,” and “accuracy.” The last-mile offering alone is not what drives success. Experience is everything. This was an important nuisance of the survey that cannot be overlooked.
Customers recognized the difference between simply offering a last-mile delivery versus exceeding the expectation.
Retailers who offered a superior last-mile delivery service were more likely to attract new customers and retain current customers. 82% of the shoppers surveyed, who used a retailer’s last-mile delivery service with quality results, went on to share their positive experiences with friends and family.
An Emphasis on Speed & Last-Mile Delivery
55% of consumers said that a two-hour delivery option would increase their loyalty, and 61% say the same for same-day delivery. Seems really fast, right? Well, that’s the expectation of today’s shopper.
Not only are customers expecting you to be fast, but they see waiting more than two days for the product as a reason to shop elsewhere. When delivery speed moves out to three days or more, only 30% say this will increase their loyalty.
Invest in Quality Micro-fulfillment Options
Will my investment in a last-mile delivery payoff? That’s a common question from many retailers exploring micro-fulfillment and last-mile services.
If you’re listening to today’s consumers, the answer is a resounding yes.
Satisfied consumers are willing to pay higher delivery charges for fast delivery. And, younger consumers (30 or younger) are willing to pay the highest across all age groups for faster deliveries. So that means last-mile delivery expectations will only grow as this younger generation ages. Investing in last-mile delivery and micro-fulfillment options is money well-spent. You’ll recover your investment quickly if you can offer a great last-mile delivery experience to your shoppers.
But remember, as the study shows, a quality experience is critically important to your last-mile success. So invest in quality micro-fulfillment options that set you apart from your competitors.
McMurray Stern is Leading the Way in Micro-fulfillment & Last-Mile Delivery
We have five different approaches to meet your automated micro-fulfillment needs putting you on a path to a superior last-mile delivery service. Many of our solutions can operate in as little as 5,000 square feet of space making last-mile delivery at the store level possible for your business.
Each solution offers a different price option, rate, and speed.
- Vertical Lift Modules are an ideal storage solution for products, components, and small items. Many retail and grocery companies have chosen our lifts to help organize and improve their workflow, thanks to their flexibility, wide range of models available, superior design, and ease of use.
- Carousels enable highly efficient storage and picking processes in the smallest possible space. An outstanding solution for handling small parts along with medium to slow-moving products including retail, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, electronics components, media, and food items.
- Shuttle Systems are used in a variety of different industries, enhancing storage efficiency. Reliably move containers and cartons weighing up to 35 kg, or combine shuttles, lifts, and a racking system. This allows for flexibility, space optimization, and high levels of technical performance.
- Pouch Sorters & Carriers enable the accumulation, buffering, distributing, and sorting of goods. Pouch sorters have high throughput, are low maintenance, and have universal usage for goods weighing up to 3 kg. You can connect various secondary load carriers to this adapter manually or as a fully automated system.
- HAIPICK Robots offer intelligent picking and handling, navigation, active obstacle avoidance, and autonomous charging. Characterized by its high stability and precision, the robot can replace the repetitive, time-consuming, and heavy manual storage and handling work, realizing efficient and intelligent “goods to person” picking and significantly improving the warehouse’s storage density (by up to 130%) and operational efficiency (3-4x).
Ready to give your customers an exceptional last-mile delivery experience? We’ve got the solutions to help you get there! Our consultants are ready when you are. Contact us today!
If you liked this McMurray Stern article, you might also like: